Methodism had an early beginning in Savage, Maryland. Some of our oldest members recall hearing that Methodist meetings were being held at the time the Savage Mill was built, which was 1810.
The Ministers appointed to this area traveled by horseback or walked, coming to Savage once a month. In 1888, Mr. William Henry Baldwin, owner of The Savage Manufacturing Company (The Mill), gave the ground, built and furnished our “Brick” Church, with the understanding that the congregation would support it.
In 1939, three denominations: Methodist Episcopal, Grace Methodist Episcopal Church South (which met at what is now Countryside Fellowship Church in Savage) and Methodist Protestant, united to form the Methodist Church.
By 1944, the Methodists in Savage had formed a single congregation and chose “The Brick Church” as their meeting place.
The “Brick Church” circa 1940 (estimated) as seen in an undated
sketch by C. L. Grady.
In 1956, a building committee was appointed under the guidance of Rev. Charles E. Subock, Jr. On April 8, 1959, a congregational meeting was held to approve the plans for the addition to the church and to approve the financial program. The cornerstone was laid on September 27th, 1959, during the Sunday worship service. The additions approved in 1959 gave us our current “Fellowship Hall” and four Sunday School rooms. The expansion of our church was completed in the summer of 1960. The front elevation drawing is shown below.
Note in the drawing that the stained glass windows on the new Fellowship Hall were relocated from the original building. What was then known as the Sunday School room now serves as our Choir Room (originally known as the Chapel, now sometimes called the Parlor). Be sure to read across the windows – not down.
In 1968, the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the present day United Methodist Church.
Some Methodist History Links